June 8, 2010
1 kilo tilapia, about 5 pieces
4 medium tomatoes, minced
2 onions, minced
1 thumb-size ginger, minced
1 siling labuyo, chopped
2 chicken cubes, crushed
1/4 cup coconut milk (kakaang gata)
1/4 tsp salt
10 pcs native pechay leaves
4 cups kakang gata or first extracction (coconut milk)
3 1/2 cups gata or second extraction (coconut milk)
1. Clean tilapia thoroughly and make an incision along the back.
2. Combine tomatoes, onions, ginger, siling labuyo, chicken cubes, 1/4 cup coconut milk and salt. Mix well and stuff into fish.
3. Wrap each fish tightly with 2 to 3 pieces of pechay leaves.
4. Arrange fish in a skillet and pour in the second extraction of coconut milk.
5. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for about 25 minutes or until fish is cooked.
6. When 1/2 of the coconut milk has evaporated, pour in the 4 cups first extraction of coconut milk.
7. Simmer for another 20 minutes.
8. Season with salt.
Makes 5 servings.