August 7, 2008
RICE AND PEAS INGREDIENTS
4 cups brown rice
1/2 cup butter
4 whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick
4 cardamon pods, bruised
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas
3 1/2 cups beef stock
RICE AND PEAS PROCEDURES
1. Place rice in medium bowl. Cover with cold water. Let stand for two minutes, then drain.
2. Heat butter in large saucepan. Add cloves, cinnamon, cardamom and cumin seeds. Put over high heat and stir for 1 minute.
3. Add turmeric. Stir over high heat for 3 minutes.
4. Stir in peas, stock and rice. Bring to boil.
5. Reduce heat and cover the saucepan. Simmer for about 15 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
6. Remove and discard cinnamon, cloves and carmom before serving.