July 17, 2008
Pritong Dilis (Fried Anchovies) Ingredients
1 cup dilis (dried anchovies)
2 cups warm water
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp ground white pepper
1/2 tsp salt
2 egg, lightly beaten
oil for frying
Pritong Dilis (Fried Anchovies) Procedure
1. Soak the dilis in warm water for about 30 minutes. Drain on paper towels, then put in a bowl. Mix with the brown sugar.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, salt and pepper in a bowl. Coat the dilis with this mixture. Dip in beaten egg and coat again with the flour mixture.
3. Heat oil in a wok. Fry the anchovies for 1-2 minutes until they are crunchy and the coating is golden brown.
4. Stir or toss to prevent anchovies from sticking together. Remove from wok. Drain on paper towels before serving.
* Some stores sell cleaned dilis, that is, their heads and intestines have already been discarded. But, if this is unavailable, clean each fish by removing the head and taking out the intestinal tract using the point of a knife.