June 4, 2010
5 coconuts, meat minced
1/2 k. shrimp, shelled then minced
1 head garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
4 pcs. bird’s eye chili, chopped
1 1/2 bundle gabi leaves
lemon grass leaves for tying the pinangat
1 thumb-size ginger
5 cups coconut milk (second extract)
1 lemon grass root or bulb, crushed
2 cups coconut cream (first extract or kakang gata)
1. Combine the coconut milk, shrimp, garlic, onion and siling labuyo.
2. Place 2 to 3 tsps of the mixture in 2 layers of gabi leaves. Fold to form either a square or a rectangle. Tie each square or rectangle with gabi leaves.
3. Repeat the above procedure until the mixture is used up; set aside.
4. Meanwhile, simmer the coconut milk; ginger and lemon grass root for a few minutes in a deep pan. Simmer until aromatic.
5. Place the gabi square into the simmering coconut milk mixture. Allow to simmer for an hour.
6. After an hour, pur in the coconut cream. Allow to simmer until sauce thickens.
7. Remove the lemon grass and ginger prior to serving.