May 7, 2010
Pinais na Tulingan Ingredients:
1 k. tulingan, gutted and washed
1 tbsp. rock salt (or sea salt)
1/4 k. kamias fruit
1 small red onion (sibuyas tagalog)
1 head garlic
Pinais na Tulingan Procedures:
1. Line bottom of a clay pot with banana leaves.
2. Rub tulingan with rock salt and wrap with banana leaves.
3. Place the onions, garlic, kamias and pork fat at the bottom of the pot.
4. Place wrapped tulingan on top. Pour in some water enough to cover the fish. Allow to simmer in slow fire. The tulingan is cooked if it is sardine-like in consistency.
5. Remove the fish from the pot. Do not through away the remaining liquid. Strain. This will serve as a dip to the fish.
6. Alternatively, one can use galunggang instead of tulingan.