September 30, 2010
Mechado with Lemon Grass Ingredients:
1 kilo beef, cubed
1 small onion, chopped
1 thumb-sized ginger, chopped
3 lemon grass bulbs
1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
1 carrot, cubed
1 potato, cubed
1/4 tsp, cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp. curry powder (red or yellow)
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. cumin powder
3/4 cups sugar
2 cups beef broth
1/8 cup soy sauce
Mechado with Lemon Grass Procedures:
1. Heat oil and saute the ginger, onions and lemon grass until aromatic.
2. Add the beef, cinnamon, curry, cayenne pepper and cumin.
3. Add the tomato sauce, soy sauce and beef stock. Allow to simmer.
4. Add the carrot and the potato. Cover and allow to cook.
5. Add the sugar and allow to cook some more.
6. The mechado is done when the beef is tender and the sauce has thickened.