May 30, 2010
1 tbsp bagoong alamang
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 thumb-size ginger, crushed
3-4 pcs siling labuyo
100 grams lean pork, sliced into thin strips
100 grams shrimps
1 kilo dried gabi leaves and stems
3 cups kakang gata or first extraction (coconut milk)
3 cups coconut milk or second extraction (coconut milk)
1/4 tsp salt
1. Cut gabi leaves into thin strips. Peel stem and cut into 1/2″ long. Dry under hot sun a day before cooking.
2. In a kawali, combine second extraction of coconut milk, bagoong alamang, garlic, ginger, siling labuyo, pork and shrimps.
3. Cook over low fire with constant stirring to avoid scorching until the mixture has thickened.
4. Add the gabi stems first and then continue cooking.
5. Then add the gabi leaves. Stir occasionally over medium heat.
6. When almost dry, add the kakang gata or first extraction of coconut milk.
7. Let cook over low heat until coconut milk turns almost into oil and the sauce has turned light yellow in color.
8 Season with salt.
9. Serve immediately.
Makes 6-7 servings.