July 19, 2008
1 kilo ham, sliced thinly
1 cup pork fat, sliced thinly
2 whole pickles, sliced thinly
1 medium-sized carrot, cut into strips
1 small can pineapple chunks, drained (juice set aside)
1 small can pineapple juice
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp saltpeter
round pineapple slices for garnishing
1. Combine the sugar, salt and saltpeter on a large plate. Rub the ham with this mixture thoroughly, making sure that the meat is coated well.
2. On a large platter, arrange the ham, pork fat, pickles, carrots and pineapple chunks alternately.
3. Form the meat and other ingredients into a roll by tying a thread around them. ( Make sure the thread is thick enough to hold the meat and other ingredients.) Save any drippings from the meat roll.
4. Combine the meat drippings, pineapple juice, and the juice drained from the pineapple chunks. Marinate the meat in this mixture overnight.
5. Boil the meat for 1 hour. Cut the thread tied around the meat roll. Let the meat cool for a few minutes.
6. Garnish the meat roll (on top and on the sides) with pineapple slices.