April 24, 2010
1 lb ground chicken or pork
4 to 5 stalks of pechay, roughly chopped (around 3 to 4 cups)
5 to 6 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 onion, finely sliced
1 cup chicken or pork stock
1 tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsps vegetable oil
salt and pepper
1. Prepare pechay leaves by trimming ends and chopping to bite-sized pieces. Separate white ends from darker parts.
2. In a pan, heat vegetable oil. Over medium heat, saute onions and garlic until softened.
3. Add in ground meat. Saute ground meat until lightly browned. Spoon off natural oils that may have seeped from meat, except around one to two tablespoons. Pour in fish sauce. Continue to stir and cook for an additional 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Pour in meat stock. Add more as necessary to simmer the meat in and to maintain one cup for when the dish is pulled together. Allow to simmer until meat is fully cooked. Skim off scum that may aggregate on top.
5. Add in white ends of pechay leaves. Cook for around one minute. Combine in dark parts of leaves. Season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook until leaves are slightly wilted, around one to two minutes.