March 22, 2010
Ginataang Gulay Ingredients:
10 to 14 pieces medium-size shrimp, head on
10-12 pcs long beans (sitaw), 3-in lengths
1 eggplant, cut into 1/2-in thick rounds
1 bitter melon (ampalaya), seeded and cut into 1/2-in thick strips
1/2 of small winter squash (kalabasa), seeded and cut into cubes
5 to 6 pieces okra, ends trimmed
1 small onion, finely sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp ginger, peeled and minced
1 1/2 cups coconut milk
1/2 cup coconut cream
1 cup water
2 tbsps vegetable oil
1 chili, seeded and sliced to strips
2 tbsps fish sauce
salt and pepper
Ginataang Gulay Procedures:
1. Wash and prepare vegetables. With a pair of scissors, trim tendrils from shrimp.
2. In a sauce pot, heat vegetable oil. Over medium heat, saute onions, garlic and ginger until tender and aromatic. Pour in fish sauce. Allow to simmer for a couple of minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Pour in coconut milk. Add in water. Simmer, not allowing to boil, until slightly thickened and reduced. Pour in coconut cream.
4. Add in shrimp. Add in vegetables with 1 to 2 minute intervals, in the folllowing order: squash, okra, eggplant, long beans, and bitter melon.
5. Stir in chilis. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.