March 22, 2010
Chicken Sotanghon Ingredients:
200 gm sotanghon (bean thread) noodles
1 cup chopped or flaked cooked chicken meat (you can use left over chicken meat)
6-7 cups chicken stock
2 Tbsp oil
1/2 head of garlic – minced
1/2 medium onion – sliced
1 Tbsp patis (fish sauce)
4 dried Chinese black mushrooms (shiitake)
chopped green onions
Chicken Sotanghon Procedures:
1. Soak the dried mushrooms in hot water for about 15 minutes. Remove and squeeze out excess water. Cut and discard stems, slice caps into fourths.
2. Heat oil in a pot. Saute garlic and onion in low to medium heat. Make sure the garlic is not burned.
3. Add chicken meat, mushrooms and patis. Cover and simmer for 3 minutes.
4. Add chicken stock and bring to boil.
5. Drop the sotanghon noodles in the soup and simmer for about 3 minutes or until noodles are tender and cooked. You may at an early stage cut the noodles with scissors to shorten lengths and make it more manageable to handle.
6. Garnish with chopped green onions.
7. Serve hot with combined lemon juice and patis on the side.