March 28, 2012
Chicken Pastel Ingredients:
1 whole chicken, about 1 kg (2 lb), cut into bite-sized pieces
Juice of 4 calamansi
60ml (1/4 cup) soy sauce
2 tbsp olive oil
2 chorizo sausages, sliced on the diagonal about 1 cm (1/2 in) thick
50g (1/4 cup) butter
1 medium onion, diced
3-4 cloves garlic, peeled and diced
250ml (1 cup) water
1 medium carrot, sliced into rounds
2 medium potatoes, cut into quarters
60ml (1/4 cup) white wine
1 140g (5 oz) tin Vienna sausage, cut into 1-cm (1/2-in) pieces
250g (1 cup) button mushrooms
200g (1 cup) green peas
Salt and pepper
2 tbsp cornstarch
60ml (1/4 cup water
3 hard-boiled eggs
1 standard pie crust
1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
Chicken Pastel Procedures:
1. Marinate chicken in a calamansi juice and soy sauce.
2. In a casserole, heat olive oil and saute chorizo until firm, about 2 minutes on each side. Remove chorizo and set aside.
3. Add butter to casserole. When butter melts, saute onion until transparent, 1 to 2 minutes. Add garlic and saute until fragrant. Add the chicken (discarding the marinade) and brown.
4. Stir in water and simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes. Add carrot and potatoes and simmer until chicken, carrot and potatoes are almost tender, about 15minutes. Stir in white wine, sausage, mushrooms, peas and the cooked chorizo. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Preheat over to 190°C (375°F). In a small bowl, blend cornstarch and water until smooth and stir into casserole. Simmer until liquid thickens, about 5 minutes.
6. Spoon mixture into a baking dish. Slice hard-boiled eggs and place on top of mixture. Cover baking dish with the pie crust and brush the crust with egg yolk. Make slits on surface of the crust to let steam escape. Bake for about 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown.