June 1, 2010
For the Chicken:
1 whole chicken, quartered (approx. 1 kilo)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
2 1/2 tbsps garlic, minced
4 stalks lemon grass (tanglad), julienned
1/4 kilo calamansi, juice extracted
1/4 cup achiote (annato seed), soaked in 1/4 cup water
1/2 cup margarine
For the Dip:
1/2 cup vinegar
2 pieces sili labuyo
1 tbsp crushed ginger
1/2 tbsp crushed garlic
Procedures to cook the chicken:
1. Marinate chicken in salt, black pepper, garlic, lemon grass and calamansi juice. Marinade overnight inside refrigerator.
2. When ready to cook skewer chicken in bamboo sticks and reserve the marinade.
3. Barbecue chicken over medium hot coals until half cooked.
4. Meanwhile, in a saucepan combine reserved marinade, achiote juice and margarine. Let boil for 2-3 minutes. This serves as basting.
5. Baste chicken with this mixture and continue to cook over hot coals until chicken is fully cooked.
6. Turn over chicken once in a while to ensure both sides of the chicken are thoroughly cooked.
7. Serve with vinegar dp and garlic ric.
To make the dip:
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
Makes 4 servings.