June 6, 2009
Chicken Arroz Caldo Ingredients
• 4 chicken thighs or drumsticks
• 2 cups of sticky rice (uncooked)
• 1 qt of chicken stock (fat free, sodium free)
• 2 knobs of ginger (peeled, chopped 1/4 inches)
• 4 cloves of garlic (chopped roughly)
• 1 onion or 2 shallots
• green onions
• 2 tablespoons patis or fish sauce
• salt and pepper
Chicken Arroz Caldo Procedures
- Get a big pot hot and add some olive oil, and brown the chicken. Salt and pepper.
- When you flip over the chicken, add the chopped onion or shallots and let it sautee until the other side of the chicken browns.
- Add garlic, give a quick toss and add uncooked rice.
- Mix around the rice and add the patis or fish sauce. Add ginger. Mix around and add chicken stock.
- Cover and bring to simmer.
- When simmer, bring heat to medium and continue to stir. Making sure rice doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Continue to check the tenderness of the ric. If mixture is getting too thick, loosen with lukewarm water.
- When rice is cooked just right, serve with chicken in a bowl and garnish with green onions and/or deep fried shallots and garlic and a grind of black or white pepper.