August 5, 2008
CARIOCA (SWEET RICE BALLS) INGREDIENTS
200 g malagkit (sticky) rice, uncooked
1 cup water
meat of 1/2 coconut, grated
1 tsp baking powder
oil for deep frying
For coconut sauce
1 cup thick coconut milk
1 cup brown sugarCARIOCA (SWEET RICE BALLS) PROCEDURES
1. Soften the malagkit rice by soaking it in water overnight. Drain and set aside the liquid.
2. Use the blender or food processor to grind the rice finely. Add a little of the reserved liquid gradually until the rice becomes dough-like in consistency.
3. Combine the grated coconut meat with the ground rice. Add the baking powder, then mix well.
4. Shape the dough into balls using your hands.
5. Heat oil in a work. Deep fry the balls until golden brown. Remove from oil and drain thoroughly on paper towels. Set aside.
6. To prepare the coconut sauce: Heat the coconut milk in a saucepan, stirring constantly for 10-15 minutes to prevent clotting. Add the brown sugar, and continue cooking until the mixture becomes smooth and thick. Remove from heat.
7. If desired, put the rice balls on bamboo skewers. Pour the coconut sauce on the rice balls or serve the sauce separately.
* You may use ground and ready-to-cook malagkit rice if it is available, allowing you to skip Step 1 and 2.