March 28, 2012
500g (1 lb) ox tripe
500ml (2 cups) vinegar
7 liters (28 cups) water
750g (1 1/2lb) ox hooves
2 tbsp corn oil
2 chorizo sausages, sliced diagonally into 1-cm (1/2-in) pieces
60 ml (1/4 cup) extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, diced
3-4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
250ml (1 cup) chopped tomatoes (fresh or canned)
375ml (1 1/2 cups) canned tomato sauce
1 medium red capsicum, cut into 2 1/2-cm (1-in) squares
85g (2/3 cup) pitted green olives
100g (3/4 cup) chickpeas
Salt and pepper
Tabasco sauce (optional)
1. Wash ox trip in vinegar thoroughly. Rinse and brush to remove any dirt. Boil tripe in 2 liters (8 cups) of the water for 10 minutes. Drain and discard water.
2. Wash ox hooves well. Boil in 2 liters (8 cups) of the water for 10 minutes. Drain and discard water.
3. In a stockpot, combine ox tripe and ox hooves. Pour in remaining 3 liters (12 cups) water and bring to the boil, then simmer for about 2 hours or until meats are tender. Remove meats from broth and let cool. Reserve 375ml (1 1/2 cups) of the broth.
4. Meanwhile, heat corn oil in a frying pan and fry the chorizo pieces until firm, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Set aside.
5. Slice the trip into 2-cm (1-in) squares. Remove meat from the ox hooves and slice similarly. Set aside.
6. Heat olive oil in a casserole and saute onion until transparent. Add garlic and saute until fragrant. Add the sliced meats and saute until lightly brown. Pour in tomatoes, canned tomato sauce and the reserved broth. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
7. Add the chorizo, capsicum, olives and chickpeas and season with salt, pepper and, if desired Tobasco. Simmer just enough for the vegetables to heat through.