September 2, 2010
Budbud Hinambid Ingredients:
1 kilo glutinous rice (malagkit)
3 cups refined white sugar
2 tbsps. salt
1 thumb-sized ginger, extracted juice only
1/2 liter coconut milk
4 tablets tableya (native cocoa)
water for cooking rice
water for steaming wrapped rice
Budbud Hinambid Procedures:
1. In a pot, cook the rice along with the malagkit, sugar, salt and ginger juice.
2. When the rice mixture is half-cooked, remove and allow to cool.
3. Melt the native cocoa; set aside.
4. Get half of the rice mixture and mix with the melted cocoa.
5. Roll this chocolate-infused rice mixture with the remaining cooked rice. Do not mix so as to give that distinctive white and black marks of this delicacy.
6. Wrap the rice mixture in wilted banana leaves.
7. Steam until cooked to at least 1/2 to an hour.