September 6, 2011
1 pc. dressed chicken, about 1 kg.
5 cups coconut milk (extracted from 2 pcs. mature coconut)
4 cups malagkit rice
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 cup cooking oil
1/4 cup patis
2 pcs. hard boiled egg sliced
1 medium size onion, sliced
5 tbsps. yellow ginger root juice (dilaw)
1 medium size green pepper, roasted and peeled and cut into cubes
Banana leaf wilted over burner (remove midrib)
1. Split chicken into desired serving pieces (8-12) at the joints. Clean and wash thoroughly and drain. Set aside.
2. Add 3-4 cups hot water to grated coconut. Squeeze coconut with both hands until the milk is extracted little by little. Strain. Set aside.
3. Wash malagkit rice 3 times. Drain well. Set aside.
4. In a saucepan and over a strong flame, saute garlic and add onion and chicken. Cook until chicken is slightly brown. Add patis and ginger root juice. Add clean malagkit and cook for 10 minutes.
5. Prepare green pepper. Set aside. Peel yellow ginger, crush with mortar and pestle, squeeze, strain and extract yellow juice.
6. Add coconut milk to chicken mixture gradually. Stir. Cover. Cook until rice is almost done, adjusting the flame so as not to scorch the pan.
7. Prepare another heavy duty container. Line the bottom with wilted banana leaf, transfer chicken/rice carefully to the layer of banana leaves. Cover rice/chicken/pepper with another layer of banana leaves, cover the cooking utensil and steam over a low flame until rice is done.
Serves 10 persons.