July 14, 2010
Ingenious native delicacy steamed in bamboo. Infused with the richness of coconut extract and heated evenly, the glutinous rive turns into a treat that oozes delectability and leaves you full and satisfied. The use of bamboo tubes adds to this delicacy’s uniquely clean aroma and taste, leaving you with possibilities of your own very flavorful combinations.
You can top it with sugar like everyone else or sprinkle it with your very own combination of sweets or nuts or milk. A fiesta banquet is not the same without a healthy number of this native rice cake.
Glutinous rice (malagkit), coconut milk
1. Soak glutinous rice in coconut extract for a few hours.
2. Then, fill the bamboo tubes with glutinous rice, ¾ full.
3. Top the glutinous rice either with a banana leaf or the coconut shavings that was extracted for the coconut extract.
4. Arrange bamboo tubes in a row in an upright position. Then, lit up a fire on each side, using either wood or coal, just near enough to allow the heat to reach the tubes.
5. Let it steam for a few hours. Then, you can either top it with sugar, nuts or milk upon serving.