July 11, 2008
Filipino Biko Ingredients
* 2 cups of kaning malagkit ( sticky rice )
* 3/4 cup of sugar
* 3 1/2 cups of diluted coconut milk
* 1/8 lb of butter
* 1 beaten egg
Filipino Biko Topping Ingredients
* 1 can of 15 oz. condensed milk
* 3/4 cup of rich coconut milk
* 2-3 tablespoon of flour for quick thickening
Filipino Biko Cooking Instructions
* Start off by grating and squeezing out the milk from 2 coconuts and save 3/4 cup of the milk that was squeezed for the toppping
* Dilute the rest of the coconut milk to make 3 - 1/2 cups. You can also use 1 can of 12 oz of frozen coconut milk.
* Boil the rice and and coconut milk in a heavy pot for 15 to 20 minutes while stirring constantly to keep from burning.
* When the sticky rice is done ( almost dry ), lower the heat and add the 3/4 cup of sugar and 1/8 lb. of butter. Make sure to mix it well and set aside. When it cooled down to room temperature, add 1 beaten egg.
* Spread the rice mixture in a well buttered pyrex dish with a height of about 3/4 to 1 inch and bake in a preheated 300 degrees F. oven for 20 minutes.
* While waiting for the rice mixture, you can start preparing the topping. Just combine all the toppping ingredients listed above in a saucepan and simmer until it’s thick. It will take about 15 minutes.
* When the rice mixture is baked, pour the topping over the rice mixture and increase the oven to 350 degrees F. and bake until the top is brown. It usually takes about 15 minutes at this temperature.