July 23, 2015
BEEF HALANG-HALANG INGREDIENTS
1 kilo beef innards
3 tablespoons garlic. crushed
5 tablespoons onions. sliced
8 tablespoons ginger. sliced
5 tablespoons bell pepper, sliced
5 tablespoons spring onions, chopped
¾ tablespoons ground pepper
40 ml soy sauce
40 ml vinegar
20 ml calamansi juice
40 ml edible oil
100 grams black beans
1 tablespoon cornstarch
Small chili pepper or sliced long peppers
BEEF HALANG-HALANG PROCEDURE
1. Wash beef innards thoroughly, removing excess parts. Washing with soursop leaves will help. Rinse repeatedly until smell is removed.
2. Boil for 10-15 minutes in plain water (use time to prepare other ingredients)
3. Remove from heat and slice into small, thin strips.
4. Place in a bowl and add in soy sauce, vinegar, black beans, onion, ginger, bell pepper, half of the garlic, half of the spring onions and half of the ground pepper.
5. Season with salt and MSG and combine well. (Results are better if this is prepared overnight or a day before cooking)
6. Prepare pan over medium heat.
7. Sauté remaining garlic in oil.
8. Add marinated beef innards including marinade sauce.
9. Lower heat, add 1 glass of water and cover.
10. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
11. Add 1-3 glasses of water depending on how much soup you want.
12. Return to medium heat. Upon boiling, remove bubbles that formed on top.
13. Season to taste.
14. Add calamansi juice.
15. Simmer for about 15 more minutes, then add chili and the remaining black pepper.
16. Add cornstarch dissolved in half a glass of water. (Add a smaller quantity to none if you have a smaller quantity of soup)
17. Simmer for a few more minutes. Remove from heat and garnish with remaining half of the spring onions.
ESTIMATED COOKING TIME: 80 MINUTES