April 7, 2010
* 1/2 cup butter
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1 t vanilla
* 2 egg whites
* 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1. Preheat to 375°F. Prepare 2 baking sheets.
2. In a bowl, cream butter with sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in eggwhites. Beat until smooth then fold in the flour.
3. Transfer mixture to a piping bag fitted with a plain round tip. Pipeout batter 2 inches apart on baking sheets.
4. If a piping bag is not available, simply drop the mixture by teaspoonfuls onto the baking sheet then spread thinly with a spatula or the back of a spoon into a 3-inch circle. Bake until wafers are brown along edges.
5. Remove wafers from the baking sheet, one at a time, using a spatula or kitchen turner. Roll each wafer around the handle of a wooden spoon until edges overlap.
6. Cool seam side down on a wire rack until crisp all over. Do the same for all the wafers.
7. Yield 1.5 dozen.