January 19, 2010
AMPALAYA SALAD INGREDIENTS:
1 large ampalaya or bitter gourd
1/2 cup vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup mayonaise
2 tablespoons pickle relish
2 tablespoons white onion, minced
3 hard boiled eggs, chopped
3/4 cup small shrimp, cooked and shelled
Salt and Pepper to taste
AMPALAYA SALAD PROCEDURES:
1. Slice ampalaya in half lengthwise, with a melon baller scram off all the white membrane. Wash and dry ampalaya and keep in the refrigerator overnight.
2. Slice ampalaya thinly. Put in a bowl and sprinkle with salt. Mash with the hand to extract juice. Wash off the salt with water and drain.
3. In a casserole, boil water and add a pinch of baking soda. Drop ampalaya and cook for about 5-7 minutes. Drain and refresh with tap water.
4. Put together marinade mixture in a bowl and add drained ampalaya. Marinate for 3-4 hours in the refrigerator.
5. Drain ampalaya very well. Mix in with the dressing ingredients and pile over a lettuce lined bowl. Serve well chilled.