July 14, 2010
1 ½ lbs free-range chicken, cut in 8 portions
2 stalk lemongrass, pounded
2 tbsp oil
2 tbsp ginger root, julienned
1 pc medium red onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup white vinegar
freshly ground black pepper
800 ml thick coconut cream
chili (of your choice)
500 gms green papaya, peeled, seeds removed, properly cleaned and sliced to bite-sized pieces
1. In a large pot, sauté ginger, garlic, and lemon grass in oil.
2. Add the chicken pieces, season with salt, vinegar and a generous sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper.
3. Cover and cook for 15 mins or until the vinegar is completely absorbed by the chicken pieces.
4. Add 400 ml of coconut milk. Stir constantly for the first 10 mins to avoid curdling of the coconut milk.
5. Cover and simmer for 30 mins or until the coconut milk is half absorbed. Stir occasionally to avoid scorching.
6. Add the slices of green papaya and the chili. When the papaya is half done, add the remaining 400 ml of coconut milk. Stir for the first 10 mins to avoid curdling.
7. Simmer for another 20-30 mins or until all the liquid is almost absorbed and the chicken pieces are falling off the bones. Serve with lots of steamed rice.